To see video from last year's trip, click here!
Israel (Eretz Yisrael)
Israel is our ancestral homeland. At Krieger Schechter Day School, we teach its history in the lives of the Jewish people. We study its role in the Bible. We weave it into the curriculum not only in Judaics and Hebrew classes, but in social studies and geography and art. We learn its music and keep up with its politics. Of course we also study modern Hebrew, Israel's national language. And every eighth grader participates in an end-of-year Israel trip.
Grade 8 Israel Trip
The 8th grade year culminates in a two-week trip to Israel planned with Ramah Israel Programs. A capstone experience, the trip brings together years of Hebrew and Judaic study as it opens students to the living reality of the State of Israel. Students participate in an archaeological dig and get a chance to pray at the Western Wall (Kotel).
As a student you'll also get to:
- Make your own pita bread!
- Plant trees in a JNF forest.
- Look over the border into Lebanon and Syria from the Golan Heights
- Explore a village from the era of the Talmud
- Hike the Galil
- Raft down the Jordan River
- Visit mystical Tzfat
- Take in the Bahai gardens in Haifa
- View Jerusalem from Mt. Scopus
- Visit Independence Hall and the Palmach Museum in Tel Aviv
- Climb Masada
- Take a dip in the Dead Sea
- Ride Bedouin camels
- Go caving
- Explore Jerusalem's Old City
- Visit YadVashem
- Tour the Knesset
Students come back exhausted and overwhelmed, with memories of a bonding experience that is a fantastic tribute to their time at KSDS.
Israeli Independence Day (Yom Ha’Atzmaut)
KSDS celebrates the day of Israel's independence with a school-wide assembly, activities, and a night of song called Erev Zemer.