Roots and Wings

Grandparent Roots and Wings, a discussion series focused on resiliency and the grandparent/grandchild relationship, provides a forum for participants to share ideas about enhancing their role in the lives of their grandchildren. 

The program addresses the unique issues that grandparents face and teaches them the tools needed to help children grow up to be resilient adults who choose to make healthy decisions in an interactive, facilitated format.

Attendees from our first session said the following:

“This session helped me to crystallize my thinking about how to communicate with and positively encourage kids.”

“I benefited a great deal from hearing the other grandparents’ ideas.” 

Each session will last roughly one and a half hours and will be led by facilitators Susan Kurlander (KSDS grandparent) and Rachael Abrams (KSDS parent and alumna). You can chose to attend one session or all. Sessions will be limited to 12 people per group so sign up early!

Session I – December 5th at 10 am or 7 pm 

Topic: Promoting resiliency. What are the risks our grandchildren face? What are the protective factors we, as grandparents,  can put in place to promote resiliency?  When is the best time to use teachable moments?

Session II – January 30th at 10 am or 7 pm

Topic: Setting Standards. What healthy choices can we encourage our grandchildren to make related to the use of substances and other risky behaviors?

Session III:  March 20th at 10 am or 7 pm

Topic: Disciplining our grandchildren. Is there a difference between punishing them and having them face consequences?

RSVP Now! Space is limited to 12 people per group!