Health, Safety, and Security
Our first priority at Krieger Schechter Day School is the health and safety of our children. Our experienced staff is dedicated to making sure that each child is safe on campus and has professional care should he or she become ill during the school day.
The KSDS Health Suite is staffed Monday–Friday 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. by nurses Iris Ingber, R.N., M.S., and Donna Friedman, R.N., M.A.S. The Health Suite is located in the Lower School offices. The main tasks of the school nurses are to:
- Provide direct care to students in cases of illness or injury
- Make appropriate physician referrals when student health issues cannot be handled at school
- Develop and implement plans for managing chronic student health concerns, such as asthma, diabetes and allergies, while the student is at school
- Maintain all student health records and immunization forms
- Provide health education to students, faculty and parents, including references to health care resources
KSDS hires an outside firm to train faculty and staff in CPR. Chizuk Amuno maintains the two Automated External Defibrillators located throughout the building.
Because some students at KSDS have severe allergies to tree nuts and peanuts, we have created a table in the Stulman Cafeteria called the “Free Zone.” All children are welcome to eat with their friends in the Free Zone, provided they bring a nut-free lunch. We ask parents to take extra care when helping kids pack safe foods. The nurses have compiled a helpful list of nut allergy "dos and don’ts". Downladable form for studens with life threatening allergies.
Health Alerts and Forms
Parents will be notified via e-mail of health alerts. Downloadable forms, including the Lower School Health Assessment and Middle School Health Assessment, the Middle School Physical Exam form and the Permission to Administer Medication form.
Safety and Security
Entry to the KSDS building on school days is limited to the Day School entrance. Only a member of the office staff has the authority to buzz people in. Two shifts of security guards monitor the Berman Entrance to the synagogue building at all times. All other entrances and exits are locked from the inside. The school building is fitted with a sprinkler system. Fire exit routes make evacuation easy and safe for students of all ages.